Template:Year nav topic2
The year 1918 in film involved some significant events.
- January 21 - Opening of the new Charles Chaplin Film Company's studios on the corner of La Brea Avenue and Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood, California.
- May 26 - D.W. Griffith elected president of the Motion Picture War Service Association, New York, New York.
- Following litigation for anti-trust activities, the US Supreme Court orders the Motion Picture Patents Company to disband.
- 28 mm safety standard film, designed by Alexander Victor, becomes one of the earliest film formats to use "safety film" bases in order to safeguard the amateur market against nitrate fires.
Top grossing films (U.S.)Edit
Films released in 1918Edit
- Alraune, die Henkerstochter, genannt die rote Hanne
- Amarilly of Clothes-Line Alley, starring Mary Pickford.
- L'ame du bronze
- America's Answer
- Among the Cannibal Isles of the South Pacific
- The Bell Boy - a 'Fatty' Arbuckle / Buster Keaton short.
- Bound In Morroco, starring Douglas Fairbanks
- The City of Dim Faces - starring Sessue Hayakawa and Marin Sais.
- The Cook - a 'Fatty' Arbuckle/Buster Keaton short.
- A Dog's Life, a Charlie Chaplin short.
- The Embarrassment of Riches
- Father Sergius
- Headin' South, starring Douglas Fairbanks
- The Heart of Humanity (starring Erich von Stroheim)
- Hearts of the World, directed by D.W. Griffith.
- The House of Mirth
- Masks and Faces
- Mickey, starring Mabel Normand
- Moonshine - a 'Fatty' Arbuckle/Buster Keaton short.
- Nocturnal Tunes
- Out of the Inkwell
- Out West - a 'Fatty' Arbuckle/Buster Keaton short.
- The Outlaw and His Wife
- Shoulder Arms, a Charlie Chaplin film.
- The Sinking of the Lusitania - a short animated propaganda film by Winsor McCay.
- Salomé, starring Theda Bara.
- Stella Maris, starring Mary Pickford.
- Tarzan of the Apes, starring Elmo Lincoln and Enid Markey
- The Tenth Symphony
- Tih Minh
- Triple Trouble, a Charlie Chaplin short.
- Under the Yoke, starring Theda Bara
Comedy short film seriesEdit